Lembah Bujang (Malaysia)

From my diary (February 2012)

Ive come to Kedah, northwest Malaysia, for two main reasons: to visit Alor Setar, the regions administrative centre, and the historical site of Lembah Bujang, further south. On the morning of 5 February, after a long wait I catch a bus from the central bus terminus heading towards Merbok, the village near which the Lembah Bujang Archaeological Museum is located, my main destination for this sunny day. It takes us about an hour and a half to cover the 50 kilometres separating the administrative centre from Merbok, as the bus stops here and there to either pick up or drop off passengers, a ride made pleasurable by the expanse of rice paddies and small villages that characterise this region. We are not far from the coast, but it is more than an hour before I am able to make out the blue of the Andaman Sea to my right, as we get close to Gunung Jerai, a 1217-metre-high mountain rising to our left, at a short distance from the sea, an enormous green rock cropping up from the wide plain. Shortly thereafter, the road we are on plunges into thick vegetation, and twenty minutes later we finally arrive in Merbok, at the southern foot of the mountain. Its already one oclock, the hottest time of the day, and I have to walk uphill for over two kilometres under the fierce sun, dragging my bag along, to get to the museum. In spite of the water I had brought with me, when I finally get to the museum Im half-dehydrated and dripping sweat. Without much ado I buy a soft drink, and I’m ready for my long-awaited visit...

Statuette of Buddha found in Lembah Bujang (Lembah Bujang Archeological Museum)

The foundations of one of the Buddhist/Hindu temples in Lembah Bujang

Another temple in Lembah Bujang



Comments

Popular Posts