Bangkok (Thailand)

From my diary (March 2007)

Taking advantage of the mid-semester break at my University, in March I take the three-hour flight from Brunei to Bangkok, for a short visit. Thailand is the first Buddhist country I visit.

Bangkok is one of the most chaotic and polluted cities I’ve ever been to. However, what the city lacks by way of allure, it makes up for in pockets of great beauty, as witness its Buddhist temples.

I arrive at the Rambuttri Village Inn – a guesthouse recommended to me by a friend – at about ten in the evening, to find there are no vacancies. Or, to be precise, there is a vacant room, only it is a special room that is a little more expensive: fifteen euros instead of ten. I take it immediately, thinking I might move to a cheaper one the following morning (which I am later unable to do). I am not sure whether the guesthouse is this busy before the day is out due to its popularity or, if I may say it, because the manager is happy with the five extra euros. I obviously dont insist; after all, the room is comfortable and relatively silent.

        In the morning, I begin my exploration of the city, feeling excited and thrilled. Setting out on foot in the scorching sun, I come to the famous Wat Phra Kaew, the Temple of the Emerald Buddha (wat being the Thai word for temple’)...

Wat Phra Kaew


Wat Phra Kaew

Wat Phra Kaew (detail)

Wat Phra Kaew

The 46-metre long reclining Buddha in Wat Pho




Comments

Popular Posts